Needs Assessment & Surveys
Needs Assessment & Priority Reports
SERAC works with partners to gather information and conduct the following assessment activities in order to identify local conditions that contribute to behavioral health:
- Community Mapping
- Resource Assessment
- Facilitated Discussions
- Key Informant Interviews
- Observational Data Collection
- Environmental Scans
- Town Hall/Community Meetings
The ongoing needs assessments inform the annual priority report in partnership with CT Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services.
Region 3 Eastern CT Priority Report 2022-23
- Region 3 Eastern CT Priority Report 2021
- Region 3 Eastern CT Priority Report 2019 Executive Summary
- Region 3 Eastern CT Full Priority Report 2019
Since 2006, SERAC has been engaged in formal data collection through the administration of surveys to both youth and adults.
SERAC works in collaboration with local coalitions and schools to survey school-aged youth. Since 2006, we have complied data from over 50,000 youth in grades 7–12 representing more than 30 school districts throughout Connecticut. The youth survey includes questions about:
- attitudes, perceptions and behaviors toward substance use
- attitudes and behaviors toward problem gambling
- mental health indicators
- risk and protective factors.
SERAC prepares a regional summary of current data and trends on a biennial basis.
SERAC’s survey templates are based on the Connecticut Governor’s Prevention Initiative for Youth (GPIY) Survey which was administered by the Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) and the University of Connecticut (UConn) Health Center in 2000. Our survey templates include questions to address the required core measures for United States Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration (SAMHSA) Drug Free Communities (DFC) and Sober Truth on Preventing Under-Age Drinking STOP) grantees. Questions can be added to any survey to customize it to meet the specific needs of a particular community.
SERAC also conducts community surveys to identify adult practices with regard to substance use and gambling as well as attitudes about youth substance use and gambling. The questions on the community survey have been designed to mirror the questions on the youth surveys.
- Regional Community Survey 2022
- Regional Community Survey 2020
- Regional Community Survey 2017
- Regional Community Survey 2015
SERAC complies biennial reports summarizing youth and community survey results and uses these data to track trends and to inform prevention planning at the local and regional levels.
- Regional Youth Summary 2021-2022
- Regional Youth Report Fact Sheet 2018-2019
- Regional Youth Summary 2018-2019
- Regional Youth Summary 2016-2017
- Regional Youth Summary 2014-2015
- Regional Youth Summary 2012-2013