SERAC supports and educates members about the importance of advocating for oneself whenever necessary, up to and including legislative advocacy. Our key accomplishments in public policy have included:
- Social Host Law: Prohibiting adults from allowing a minor to possess alcohol
- Increased access to naloxone
- Prohibiting the sale of synthetic marijuana and salvia
- Prohibiting the sale of electronic nicotine delivery to persons under age 18
- Restricting the use of electronic nicotine delivery systems in public places
We see the value of advocacy as part of the recovery process, as it gives individuals the ability to express their opinions and share their stories with people capable of making decisions and changes. The very act of sharing one’s story promotes healing and empowerment.
SERAC advocates for local partners to implement evidence-based programs and practices. This includes the use of programs that demonstrate long term outcomes in the desired population.
SERAC is a leader in Eastern CT for the use of data in the selection of appropriate interventions and for population and system level change.